Thursday, March 01, 2007

Technology

It's amazing what kids have nowadays, VCRs, TVs, Stereos and MP3 players, Computers and even cellphones. Well, that's nothing new as I had it all when I was a kid, just slightly different but fully functional.

The VCR.
Well, slightly different, but I had my Chad Valley Give a Show projector and a device called Flashy Flickers that I could show slides and movies (sort of) on the ceiling, as long as my batteries lasted. I even had a little 8mm projector with such fantastic movies as The Munsters, The Lone Ranger and Rocky and Bullwinkle, well, maybe not the Bullwinkle, and certainly not Rocky, but the loan arranger was in there, oh no, that's not true, he only arrived when I was seventeen.


The TV.
Well, it wasn't mine, but, it was a spare black and white TV that was in the front room, the front room for those who are not familiar with the term, was the best room, with furniture that wasn't used and yes, spare tellies to impress the neighbours. The TV I spent a lot of time watching, and illegally adjusting to prevent oblong heads when it was warm, was my one link to the Munsters (again), the Adams Family and of course My favourite Martian.

The Stereo.
Mono, Fidelity boxed record player, Victor Borge and Tommy Steele with his Little White Bull. There was also the lovely Chad Valley Close and Play 45 rpm record player. As time went by, Little White Bull was turned into a frisby with this marvellous device.


MP3 player
I had a little tape machine, reel to reel, a miniature version of my mums Grundig TK20. The most fantastic thing I ever recorded was the theme song from Gerry Andersons UFO. That was played a thousand times. Duh-du-duh-duh, duh-dudu-dudu-duh-duh-da-dur.

The Computer.
Easy this one, it was called an Etch-a-Sketch. And my brother Robert was the king of all sketchers.


Cellphone.
Not one of the devices today had the features of my Dan Dare radio transmitter. Notepad, Morse Code, rotating Flashlight, Electronic radio with a range as long as the connector wires and a buzzer. A classic. I still have it, well, I have someone elses actually.

It was a fantastic time and without the technology, I would never have made it. The only difference really between me back then and the kids nowadays is that my mother would play the tyrant and simply decide what I was eating at every meal and make me eat what was on my plate, even those horrible brussels sprouts.

And no technology on Earth could save me from that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home