Saturday, October 20, 2007

Reach the Beach

It was a song by The Fixx that came out around 1981 and was always in my mind, it was there in 1985 when I was enjoying pie and peas in the Kings Head pub at Santa Monica while drinking frozen Newcastle Brown ale, it was there in 1987 when I was drinking imported Labatts Blue and planning my escape to Canada from what had been an unfriendly and dark Britain and it was there in 2000 when we buried my dad and the drink of the day was Jameson's.

And it is here now, in late 2007 as I make my home in British Columbia, on the edge of the Pacific Ocean, a place where I can actually reach the beach and a time for a new chapter in the fools life, I know some of you read this and I want to change the direction somewhat, still reporting on the nostalgia of it all, but also reporting day to day observations of "going coastal" and what it's like to stop work too soon, what it's like to wake up each day with too much time on your hands and what a daily pint in an old codgers hands means.

Welcome to the new chapter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home