Thursday, June 24, 2004

Sleeping in the Dry Spot

A big thank you to Blogger dot com.

Graeme my favorite Scotsman, asked me several years ago why people on the Internet post and create useful or funny websites. "Whats in it for them?, why do they do it?" he'd ask and I really was lost for words, sufficient to reply that "they just do, and that's that. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!" and since then, and with the help of a series of computers I've built for him, he has surfed the Internet and even added to it's fullness with some great personal family stories.

My son asked me a similar question, directed at me, as to why I post on Blogger or create websites, my fundamental answer was "because I can" and that about sums it all up, I can keep a diary and hide it in a drawer, I can reflect quietly in my room or just throw stuff up here, I choose the latter. If I want to share a slice of me with anyone on the planet, I now just direct them to dryspot. Hopefully, in time this blog will represent all of me.

And to clear up a question I've repeatedly had over the years, why do I call myself dryster? - well, it wasn't always that, it was "Dry Ice" back in the pre-internet BBS days. Chosen because, back when my dad was a Taxi Driver in Whiston, he was also an Ice Cream Van driver. The main freezer in the van was packed with dry ice which I'd pinch and play with, and if any of you have experimented with a lump of dry ice and a blancmange mould, you'll realise that it makes a high pitched, annoying noise that you'll never forget.

Welcome to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home