Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Sand and Garbage

I have to throw an extract from Jeff Kay's blog up here, he's the brilliant creator of the West Virginian Surf Report and lives an almost parallel life down there.

"Another weekend disappointment: Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I saw this flick in theaters in 1977 or so, and thought it was just about the greatest thing ever. I don't guess I'd watched it since (I've been busy), but always remembered it fondly. Same with Toney. She said she actually had a Close Encounters t-shirt when she was a kid, and loved the movie as well. So I was excited when I saw it listed on one of the movie channels, and promptly saved it to the DVR. And Saturday night we settled in with some icy Yuenglings, and proceeded to watch one of the dullest goddamn things I've come across to date. I'm not joking, it was like something off the Sundance Channel; I needed a drool catcher. Toney said it's two and a half hours of people looking up, and she's right. A huge chunk of the movie is taken up with extended shots of folks looking to the sky -- waiting for something exciting to happen. We know how they felt. It was one long encounter of the tiresome kind. I once thought this movie was the shit?! Good God. My whole life is built on a foundation of sand and garbage"

And he's right, sand and garbage. It sort of makes you think about the whole CD or DVD libraries that we're all being encouraged to invest in. I have a cupboard full of CDs that I don't play any more, sometimes I grab an old favorite, slap it in the car and think what a load of crap that is, everything fades with time, give me something new.

Same with DVDs, I mean, 2001 is really an excellent movie, full of amazing special effects for a 35 year old classic, but nowadays I just feel like reaching for my little blankey when it's on, making me want to sleep at any time of the day as HAL lulls me to bye byes. It's a sad, sad day when you place a valued DVD such as that back in the cupboard and believe that it'll never escape again, trapped in there with it's boring relatives, lost for the rest of time. Mind you, I can get the same effect by "loaning" the disk to a certain individual at work.

So, we're off to Future Shop or Best Buy to purchase the next event, normally another few hours with Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks, seldom with Ben Afflek who in my opinion couldn't even act like a potato. Yet, even after the buzz of the new, the second, or third showing, one day, The last Short Samurai or Shaving Ryans Privates will enter the one way valve we call a media cupboard, never to see the light of lazer again. It's a sad thing, but often with the two Toms, it's a good thing.

See ya later.

PS. (there's a lot more Jeff Kay at www.thewvsr.com - check him out)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home